Friday, March 27, 2009

Further thinking on Ba for photography


Thorns, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Red and yellow, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I read some more information about the Ba concept, of which I posted some preliminary thoughs last Tuesday.

This is a nice posting about Ba, from the software development perspective, but I think it applies to photography as well. The posting offers yet another attempt at defining the concept: "Ba is the place (context) in which (a) the tacit knowledge is converted, and (b) the place (context) that invests the team with the ability to make creative discoveries of new products." (Here is another source for information on Ba.)

I'm thinking that SoFoBoMo '09 might be a Ba, which provides a context (making of photobook) for a team (a huge team in this case) for sharing a wide variety of skills together to make happen something which has not been done previously.

Here are two more images from today. The first combines warm evening sunlight with blue shadows, the other provides a nice dose of color.

Update: I had a look at my recent photographs, and it struck me how bright they are, compared to those just a month or so ago. The spring is really here. There are so much things to take photographs of that it is almost overwhelming. And this is just the start, soon the spring will really start with flowers, leaves, grass - everything growing. The best time of the year for a photographer.

Also, what strikes me is the quality of the LX3 images. It is quite enough for my purposes, especially now that I don't need to use sensitivies above ISO 100. (Up to ISO 400 was quite ok, but still not as good.) And what is still the best thing about the camera: I can take it everywhere and it is always ready. And with well over 36,000 images taken it is still going strong. There are some marks of wear on the body (the black paint is worn away), and occasional hiccups (although none recently), but everything works usually as well as when the camera was brand new. Excellent durability.

Thinking of the bright summer, I today ordered a ND8 filter to be used for some creative purposes. Namely, I got used to doing motion-blur photography during the winter and something like that would be nice to try in summer also. But perhaps I need two ND8 filters to make that possible, have to see how it goes.

No comments: