Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sunshine


Shadow, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


White and green, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Snow cover, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today was a sunny day. We got some visitors at home (even though we warned of the illness, they still wanted to come). Afterwards, I went for a short walk outside with the youngest children, who enjoyed playing in the fresh snow.

I took some photographs, using the snow and the sunshine as the subject, noticing especially the shadows. It felt good to be out taking photographs once again. It is as if I have become malnourished in "seeing" when forced to be inside for so long. It was a good day, although I'm still coughing occasionally, and I'm not completely recovered from the lack of sleep.

Update: Last Sunday I wrote a few thoughts on Nordic literature, specifially detective novels and science fiction. I noticed that in Finland we do have a bit of original science fiction published. Well, today a read a news item which gives some indication of this. Namely, the novelette "Baby Doll" by Johanna Sinisalo has been included in the 2008 Preliminary Nebula Award Ballot. She is a great writer, and has brought science fiction quite wide recognition in Finland.

No comments: