Friday, February 27, 2009

Insomnia


Dripping, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

The lack of sleep is starting to really bother. I have tried two different medicines for the cough, one prescribed by the doctor, and they don't seem to have much of an effect.

The cough keeps awake at night, except for some rare moments when the cough ceases for a while. Somehow it seems that the cough gets worse in horizontal position, standing or sitting there is not so much coughing.

And the lack of sleep is causing other problems. I can't hold a thought for a long period. I keep forgetting things, even simple ones I have started to do. Thoughts come and go, don't stick long enough to make a memory impression.

I discovered in my bookshelf a novel on this topic, "Sömnlös" (Sleepless) by Barbara Voors. I read (or more accurately, browsed) through the book, which wasn't so bad, but I didn't have the patience to read through the long descriptive passages. I did notice some problems, for example the fact that a quoted letter didn't sound at all like it would have been written by an old man, it was in fact repeating the same phrases and topics as the earlier parts of the book. So, the book probably has big holes in it for readers with clearer heads than I have.

Of course, my problem isn't really insomnia, it is the cough which prevents proper sleep. What the cough stops, I expect to be able to sleep as deep as usually.

The photograph is from today. The temperature rose above 0 °C, and the snow is starting to melt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really gorgeous picture, wow!
Sorry about your lack of sleep, I wanted to recommend a couple of things, but now I see for you it might be related to your cough. Nevertheless, please feel free to browse my blog, I have a simple (free) guide in pdf that you could browse through and maybe find a tip or another on lack of sleep to help you through.
I'll be checking out your blog more often, really like your art!
Diane

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks for the pointer to your site. I never have had trouble sleeping (except a couple of exceptional times), so this forced-by-the-cough sleeplessness has revealed interesting (and not so nice) aspects of my personality. And being scatterbrained is no great fun either.