Sunday, February 8, 2009

Embracing the grayness - and thoughts on SoFoBoMo 2009


Lovin' it, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Car wash, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Shades of gray, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today was a gray day, and what can you do? I tried very hard to turn the grayness into an advantage, to embrace it, to enjoy it. But no. However, here are three photos at least touching on grayness, if not embracing it.

I have been reading with interest postings about the SoFoBoMo project in 2008. What got me started was Andreas' posting #611 - I have now read (or at least looked at) all of Andreas' postings starting from #1 and ending in #611 - and this one was a good summary of the experiences of making a photo book. And the resulting book is excellent.

It seems that some photography bloggers are now getting interested in the topic, perhaps already preparing for SoFoBoMo 2009. Martin Doonan helpfully provides a nice collection of postings on the topic. He also links to several of the SoFoBoMo 2008 books, with concise commentary. I explored a few of the photobooks, and some made quite an impression, for example these:

It would be nice to try out something like this in 2009, but I'm not sure if I can get started with it. I know how to make POD photobooks, that is not the problem, but here I would like to make a more ambitious design, with a coherent structure and topic.

And what software should I use for this? I have Pages on my Mac, but it doesn't seem to be especially well suited for making photobooks. I could do it with LaTeX (going relatively low-tech), but I would like to have a more visual way of doing it.

Well, perhaps I have already decided to take part in SoFoBoMo 2009, and this thinking is an indication of impatience in getting started.

Update: My column on making photobooks appeared on Monday (in Finnish, Netti toi kirjapainon kotiin), and this is apparently a hot topic, I already got several comments and questions on this. Related to this, I noticed an interesting comparison of online book-making services Lulu, WeBook, Blurb and Qoop.

Update 2: Andreas is apparently also preparing for SoFoBoMo 2009.

No comments: