Monday, February 2, 2009

Artistic vs. realistic photographs


Towards sunset, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Shadow and light, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Crescent moon, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Andreas commented photographs from a visit to Elfvik, suggesting that my images are more artistic on some days than on others. I do have a pull towards both of these directions, artistic vs. realistic (if that division makes any sense).

I posted a short note on a related topic a few days ago, discussing the subject matter: '... the opposite ends of my current photography. The first (from today) has a "beautiful" landscape and a touch of color on the sky. The second (from yesterday) is coarse and ugly, depicting decay.'

I seem to be seeking a direction in multiple ways, artistic/realistic, beautiful/ugly. But I don't really know if there is any difference, perhaps it is just a question of good photographs and bad photographs. Because in the end, photography is about communication (although this is a bit simple way of putting it).

These photos are from today, again from a visit to Elvik. It is nice to have longer days now, and they are getting longer faster and faster. The snow on the ground of course makes the days even brighter. This is a good time of the year.

4 comments:

Jean Marcel said...

I really liked the second! Shadow and Light...
I think there isn't a division between artistic and realistic, they are just parameters of a photograph. Maybe you can have both on the same photo...

Juha Haataja said...

I was in a hurry with that second photo, the sun was disappearing, and I tried to find the best framing of the subject. It was quite exciting, trying to make the picture before the excellent light disappeared...

I'm currently reading Sam Abell's book "The Life of A Photograph", and he certainly can fit both parameters (in a maximimum amount) within the same photo.

Andreas said...

I second JM on the second :)

Wonderful light, wonderfully short-lived, I'd call it sentimental light :)

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: Good choice of words, I'm now feeling quite sentimental about this photograph. After being ill with the flu for a week, I haven't felt much inspiration when taking photographs.

But still, I'm sticking with the process, and keep on hoping that the inspiration comes back at some point.