Monday, January 12, 2009

Playground at night


Tree at playground, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Playground, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Here is finally, a third pair of photos from today. I feel that today was a lucky day in terms of photography. It was a dark, wet, windy day, almost all snow melted away, but going out and taking photos felt good. And I'm in fact proud of the photos, they are more or less what I wanted to capture.

I took much less photos than usually, most of which were quite ok without much post-processing, except the removal of a color cast if there was any. I'm still shooting RAW+jpeg, but haven't yet had a need to dig into the RAW files.

Moving towards another topic, I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of my photobooks, one from Blurb and two other from Apple's iPhoto service. Today I read an interesting description of a photobook process at The Landscapist.

First I felt that this is a really complex way of doing a simple job, but then - after thinking about this a bit - I realized that perhaps there is sense in the process after all. What I had difficulty in grasping is thinking about Photoshop as a typesetting and page layout tool. My background is in scientific and technical typesetting - especially LaTeX and PDF-based tools - and Photoshop seems primitive in comparison. But now I believe there is a method in the madness.

No comments: