Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Photographer's obligation


Church, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I ran into Paul Maxim's posting Branching Out, in which he disagreed with Mark Hobson's views on subject matter:

I enjoy reading Mark’s blog, and I agree with him on a lot of issues, but his insistent implication that photographing in “iconic” locations is a waste of time is arrogant and silly. In Mark’s mind, photographing a plateful of garbage in his sink apparently has more value. In all fairness, maybe to Mark it does. That’s fine. But to tell the world that any image taken in a national park (or other such place) is of no value because it’s been done “a zillion times before” is horse pucky.
The topic of what to photograph is related to the matter of a photographer's obligation to the audience. If I post a photo of a certain subject - say a specific tree - would it be fair to the audience to post another photo of the same tree tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and so on? Or should I change the subject? In fact, what kind of obligation a photographer has towards the audience. For example, does a novice/amateur/half-skilled photographer such as me have any obligation towards the readers of this blog?

This discussion is now close to getting off-topic, but here is the thing: if it is easiest for me to take photos of the nearby subjects, and I feel that I can develop my skills this way, and I want to post these things on the web just because I like to do so, do I generate an obligation through the process of publishing my photos? And what kind of obligation that might be?

Coming back to the subject matter, I don't seek "popular places", but I'm not againts taking photos of them either. I'm in a fortunate position (considering the situation these days) of having a job, and as it is nowadays, it is a quite demanding job, so photography is something I do for balancing the work and the family. What I don't need is another set of obligations from those viewing my photos.

So, is there any way of escaping such an obligation? Not thinking about it is not a solution, now that I have realized that I may have an audience which expects something from this blog. On the other hand, I don't want to spoil a good thing. The good thing about photography is going out and having a walk in the nature, taking photos, having a look at them to learn to do it better next time, and writing whatever I happen to think at the moment to this blog.

According to the web statistics, there are on average 100-150 visits to this blog daily, and about 40% of you are returning visitors. This is quite a lot, and in fact makes me ponder heavily how I should feel about this blog. It is not so lightweight thing any more, although I want to keep it as informal and easygoing as possible. And most of all, I want to preserve the possibility of failure, or experimentation, and of not being perfect.

I guess most visitors here have their own blogs and perhaps even photo galleries. How do you feel about this?

5 comments:

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

Not all of us feel the need to preach to the world about what is worthwhile or otherwise. Your blog is about YOUR personal journey, it's a window for us to look in at what's going on and it's not a didactic epistle! If you want to photograph the same tree on successive days that's ok with me and I wouldn't mind one bit. Please carry on as you were because it's very good.

Anonymous said...

As an armature photographer and blogger you have no obligations outside being a decent member of society. I certainly don't think you have any obligations to me and I'm one of your daily readers. I visit your blog because I'm interested in what you have to say and show me. Thank You.

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks for the comments - I was a bit stressed out yesterday, due to workload at work, and thus felt a bit negative even about photography and blogging about photography.

Even though the following day was as gray and busy as the previous one, I'm feeling better, less stressed, and certainly will keep on doing whatever it is I'm doing here.

Andreas said...

I do feel an obligation to post an entry per day, and by and large I do so. I may delay one or two entries for a day or two, and then I catch up, posting two or three images. Overall it has been one image per day for the last 862 days, with not one omission. That's what I feel as my obligation.

Everything else, what images I post, what titles I give, if I make one entry a photoshop tutorial, if I post a plain image out of the camera or a 21 layer job, that's my decision and only mine. I need to treat it like that, because that is the point where it touches my integrity and autheticity. I can only be creative when I let loose. This way I may disappoint at times, but that's how it is. You can't please everyone, it's hard enouh to please oneself :)

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: It is admirable how you have been able to stick to the schedule. And if there wouldn't be changes and risk-taking, then there wouldn't be development either, I guess.