Saturday, January 17, 2009

A gray (but cold) day


Frost ball, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Shoe in ice, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Brown, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Treeline, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today we had -10 °C, and a gray cloud cover with occasional glimpses of blue. During the night some frost had appeared. And ice had grown thicker in puddles, ponds, brooks and lakes. We spent some time outside, and I took quite a lot of photos. Here is a little photo story from today.

4 comments:

Paul said...

You'll allow me a pun. I just cannot resist: Talk about getting cold feet! :-)

Juha Haataja said...

Excellent pun!

Somehow this meaning escaped me when I saw the shoe in the ice. In any case, I have difficulties in remembering English sayings. But the net comes to rescue... Here goes.

I may be skating on thin ice here, but to break the ice - although this may cut no ice - I decided to write it on ice. I may not have the English idioms down cold, but at least I'm stone-cold sober - and someone might say I'm doing this in cold blood. Of course, this may be a cold comfort, and may give reason to a cold shoulder from someone with ice in veins. But perhaps I should put some ice on it, so that I don't put someone on ice by mistake.

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

The shoe picture has real sole! .......(soul)

Juha Haataja said...

@Colin: Thats a good one!

My eldest daughter started English (first foreign language) at school, and this reminded me once again of the strangeness of English. That words are written differently than pronounced (and vice versa), that is really strange from the Finnish perspective.

But for the children of today, this is perhaps not so strange. My children, even the youngest, play the children's games at the BBC web site without much trouble. And it seems that at school they advance much more quickly in English than when I was at that age.