Friday, January 2, 2009

Churches and cemeteries


Malmi cemetery, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Ice flowers, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Character, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Church of St. Lawrence, Vantaa, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today was another clear and cold day, -10 °C. We visited first the Malmi cemetery in Helsinki, and after that the Church of St. Lawrence in Vantaa.

I like cemeteries, they have tranquility and usually also quite beautiful scenery. I'm also attracted to the signs of affection displayed there. Perhaps paradoxically I feel an atmosphere of affirmation of life at cemeteries. (Also, one of my all-time favorite books is Spoon River Anthology.)

Here are a few photos from the visits today. I'm not sure if they convey my feelings about cemeteries. I hope so.

2 comments:

Andreas said...

I absolutely love #4! Mmmm ... that's what Mark Hobson calls "plain seeing" :)

Juha Haataja said...

I was attracted by the ice flowers on the iron. First I took photos in the other direction, out of the churchyard, but that didn't work, but when leaving I noticed it looked nice in this direction. Someone did a nice work with this gate ornament out of iron.