Saturday, December 20, 2008

What is interesting?


Rose berry, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I was planning to go for another walk this night to try to get a better photo for today, but I felt so tired. And it is really dark and wet outside, even though the rain seems to have stopped for now. So I have here one of the half-decent photos from today - I like the bit of novelty in this photo of a rose berry.

Yesterday evening I gave my old Ixus 400 to my youngest daughter, who eagerly took photos of things which were interesting to her: red pillow, her sister's hair, my shirt, things on the computer screen, christmas decorations etc. When she took a photo, she showed it eagerly to anyone in the vicinity, and then sought something else to take photos of. "Go close" seemed to be her photography motto. And it is not a bad way of using a camera. It seemed that the best thing for her in photography was seeking new subjects, not so much looking at photos already taken.

As I wrote earlier, I didn't have much success in photograpy today. I took several hundred photos, with a massive failure rate due to bad light, motion blur and tiredness. Only later I realized I would have had other kinds of possibilities for photography. For example, instead of trying to work handheld I could have moved from f/2.0 to f/8.0 and used 0.5 - 4 second exposures. Not fight the motion blur but instead use it for benefit. But there are always new days for photography.

No comments: