Thursday, November 6, 2008

What you would feel if you lost all your photos?


Tree patterns, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Paul Butzi wonders what to do with all the photos you have collected. Are there ever enough? Or would you just stop at some point?

A related question would be: How would you feel if all the photographs you have taken would disappear? Would you feel a crushing sense of loss, or would this be more like a new start?

(Of course, with digital this may be a theoretical question - provided you have backups locally and on the net or elsewhere far enough away.)

I think I wouldn’t feel that this would be a big loss. There is a big world out there available for photography, as long as that is left, no problem.

Instead of going for a photowalk with the LX3, I exercised today by commuting by bicycle. (Thus I took only a couple of photos today, at sunset from a nearby small hill.) The temperature for most of the day was below freezing but it was very dry so there was no need for winter tyres in the bike.

Last year I switched to winter tyres in October, and only had a need for them during a couple of days during the winter. This year I'm not going to make the switch until absolutely necessary, because the winter tyres are much heavier, and they are also less safe on asphalt because of the studding. I have also commuted more by car and less by bicycle during this autumn. Going for a walk with the LX3 has been too attractive I guess.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I think that there would be a slight bump in the road, an amount of disappointment, but then I'd move on. There's not need, for me, to get all attached to those pictures. As you said, it is a big world! I'd just take more! :-)

I've lost a year of blog posts in one click of a button ... so, I just started over! It's good to clean house every once in a while.

Juha Haataja said...

Thinking about this I realized there are two types of photos: family and others. Loss of the family photos would make a big hole - losing a sense of identity so to speak - but the other photos are just work in progress.