Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No LX3 today - photos with Nokia E90 and Canon Ixus 400


Rocks in water, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I didn't take any photos with the LX3 (thanks to forgetting it in a bag at work). I used instead my two other digital cameras, Nokia E90 and Canon Ixus 400. It was an interesting experience. My shooting style has evolved with the LX3, and when the fast response and manual control was not available, it was a bit difficult to start taking photos.

There were many things missing which I found to make photography difficult: no wide angle, long shutter lag, small and unprecise lcd display (even on the Nokia), and small dynamic range. And the waiting between photos until the camera was ready to be used again. (No such thing with the LX3.)

But there were also good things - I did use the longer zoom (compared to the LX3) of the Ixus, even though the small aperture made it seem that I was doing photography while peeping into a small pipe.

This photo was taken with the E90. Not too bad, although I must admit that I had to fight the shutter lag. I did not use the standard focusing mode (which sometimes result in focusing lag of several seconds), but instead the macro mode. Even then the shutter lag was up to one second, and quite unpredictable. This photo is quite good in terms what the E90 can deliver. Another example was taken in Cambridge last spring.

No comments: