Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Night shooting


Park at night, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Once again I tried long exposure with the LX3. I didn't turn down the sensitivity much, using ISO 200 has usual. I had a mini-tripod with me, and used the selftimer to avoid camera shake. The results are not bad, it is more a question of how to compose a nice shot.

This takes some effort, as it is so dark that you can't see properly what is in the image. In fact, the camera display is better than naked eye, but it doesn't resolve the small details such as annoying tree branches in the foreground. I think I'll continue experimenting with this where there are dry nights (not raining). Yet another thing motivated by having the LX3.

Speaking of the LX3, there was an interesting comparison by Thom Hogan between the top three advanced compacts: Canon G10, Nikon P6000 and Panasonic LX3. This observation about the LX3 is right on the spot: "Overall, shooting with the Panasonic is a serious shooters dream, once the interface is learned. It just feels direct, the camera doesn't ever really get in the way, and pretty much anything I want to do can be done, and the things I want to do are right up there at my fingertip."

No comments: