Sunday, November 9, 2008

Motion blur


Reeds, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I found another source for hints about using motion blur in photography: "Motion blur intrigues me, that and a technique I've come to appreciate where I convert the original image to black and white, do some more fiddling with it which involves using the offset function, and then lay it back on top of the blurred image. Next comes some experimenting with blending modes and then the usual contrast and hue adjustments and voila, there you have it. I find that by using this technique I can leave just the right amount of detail in an image but still allow the blur to bring out its essence, what I saw when I was there so to speak."

The results demonstrated there are nice. I did some experimentation, but my Photoshop skills are almost nonexistent, so nothing worthwhile resulted. But I'll continue my testing, perhaps I'll find ways of doing this thing by myself. In any case, today I took quite many photos of dry reeds and grass, panning along their length. Getting the blur just right was difficult, and there were no really good samples. But in any case here is one of the images.

No comments: