Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Late night walking with a camera


Lammaslampi by night, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Two walking, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I had a late night walk with the camera when it was dark outside. The clouds reflected some light from the city, so it was not completely dark though. I decided to try to take a photo of the Lammaslampi lake by night, using ISO 200 with the LX3. The result was quite surprising, but I like it.

I also experimented with long-exposure handheld photography while walking, here is another sample. I have a feeling that this technique could produce quite interesting photos in a right situation. What clearly does not work are bright lights and reflections, but color and texture is another matter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

What were your LX3 settings for the top picture? Did you use a tripod?

thanks man

Juha Haataja said...

It was a 5-second exposure, f/2.0 using manual focusing and aperture priority and -1 EV compensation. I was debating whether to use ISO 80 or 100 to decrease noise even further, but decided to try ISO 200. There is noise, but not too much. At ISO 80 there would be very little noise.

I didn't have a tripod, instead I put the camera on top of a sign (saying "don't feed the birds") and used the self-timer.

Juha Haataja said...

An additional detail: there was some wind which ocasionally moved the sign, but it happened that the wind was still just as I took the photo.