Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Good November Night


Lammaslampi-sky, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

After a day of not using the LX3 for photography, I feel cautiously optimistic. It seems that I'm able to do some things with my older cameras which I was not able to do previously - exploratory, more creative things. Perhaps the best things about the LX3 is that it encourages to "think outside the box", to try things you did not do previously. Besides being fun, some of these things might actually help in developing the photography skills.

But I'm waiting impatiently on getting my hands on the LX3 again. The wide angle lens is something special, as the relatively noisefree images and good handling of scenes with potential dynamic range problems.

There are still things which I have not tried out, such as using bracketed exposures for increasing the dynamic range. Perhaps this is possible without using a tripod, at least it is worth investigating. I'm not into HDR, but some scenes don't really work without using some kind of multiple exposure techniques.

The photo here was stiched together from three Ixus 400 photos. Clearly a case where the 24 mm wide angle lens of the LX3 would have been excellent. And there is quite a lot of noise visible, as well as the usual hot pixels. But for the Ixus 400, this was not bad at all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your pictures of water, in various domains (grin)

Juha Haataja said...

@les: An interesting observation - and true. Water everywhere. Yesterday I heard on the radio about the water crisis. They may be able to invent an replacement for gas/petrol/fuel, but never water.