Saturday, October 11, 2008

What are the best photos?


Red barn, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I browsed through my photo collection at Flickr.com - well, not all of it, but some of the most popular. I was a bit surprised at some of the popular ones, but perhaps they have some roughness which may generate interest.

Another thing I noticed: many photos from earlier this summer, taken with the Canon Digital Ixus 400, are not bad either. In fact, some of them feel to have a kind of durability - I think I'll return to them later to check what I was discovering at that point. The photos are not masterpieces, but not so bad as to make me think about deleting them. Perhaps there hasn't been such great progress in the photography I have lately believed - and perhaps the Ixus 400 was good enough camera for my skills after all.

But on the other hand, every once in a while I feel that I can do more with the LX3. For example, take this red barn. I have shot this several times with the Ixus 400, and never was really able to catch it properly. This one, taken today in a heavily clouded weather, is better than all the previous ones. I'm sure there are many more opporturnities to try this again with the LX3. Somehow I like this building, it has a kind of mystery feeling for me.

What I'm quite sure about is how much there is to learn about photography. All the time there are situations when I later discover that I didn't really see what was possible to capture - learning by failing, you see.

No comments: