Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Photographing the city landscape


Kaivopuisto, Helsinki, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I haven't done much photography in a city, by which I mean the tightly built and densely populated areas of a city. Today afternoon and evening I was in Helsinki, and had some time between meetings to do some photography. It was stormy weather, so few people were walking outside. Also, thick clouds removed much of the color from the landscape.

As the city landscape is unknown subject matter to me, I didn't get many halfway decent photos, but this was good practice nevertheless. Later it got really dark, and there was little light, but I tried to do some b&w photography nevertheless. The results were not so great, but at least I tried.

Update: I noticed only later that I didn't save any of the "street view" photos of Helsinki, although I took quite a lot of them. Either I didn't like them, or they were technically bad (camera shake, too dark etc.). Apparently I'm a natural landscape photographer.

No comments: