Thursday, September 11, 2008

What is the attraction of photography? (I like it because I'm bad at it)


Barn, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I just can't let go of thinking (again) about how photography fits within the different art forms, and what is the (added) value of a photo. Why people take photos, anyway?

For me, there are several attractions in photography. I'm a visually oriented person, and I like to document what I see. And I like walking, so walking with a camera combines two nice things. (Getting some exercise isn't harmful either.)

Also, I have started to suspect that I like photography because I'm bad at it. Fortunately, for a novice it is (relatively) easy to improve on the skills, and sometimes even make a bit better photo than the usual level.

Being bad at something interesting is motivating. In photography there is always something which you discover only afterwards, and then you think that next time I'll manage better. Also, there is a multitude of ways of looking at photography, and thus you can discover your own version of it (and how you measure good/bad photos).

I'm seeing photography more like a craft than an art form, but I do think there are some aspects touching art, or at least making it possible to convey a piece of the mystery called life. That is the most important factor why I have invested so much in my writing skills (which are also in need of improvement), and why I want to invest in photography. I want to feel alive.

The photo here was taken today while out walking with the family. Not a great photo, but for me it documents something which I find interesting.

No comments: