Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I bought a Panasonic LX3 - couldn't stand waiting

After debating with myself for several weeks, I finally caved in. Today I ordered a (black) Panasonic LX3. In addition, I bought a 2 GB 133x SD card and a spare battery. And furthermore I ordered from DealExtreme a camera pouch for protection, as well as a 3-inch screen protector.

I'm still a bit afraid that I'll regret when camera manufacturers announce their products later this month (Canon G10?). On the other hand, I'll have a nice new camera to try out in the darkening Finnish autumn. Well, in about week when I'll get my hands on the camera.

Why? you might ask. Well, the f/2.0 lens, manual controls, 3-inch screen, sensor which gathers twice as much light as a 1/2.3 inch sensor, good high-ISO performance (for a compact), RAW - do I need to go on?

Also, the LX3 is a nice complement to my current Ixus 400, not being a straight replacement, and there is still room for a DSLR or a big-zoom compact, if I decide to invest in more equipment. But I expect there is quite a lot to learn in LX3 for the next few years or so.

2 comments:

Travis said...

I can relate so much to your comments!

Waiting till after Photokina is the smart thing to do but the LX3 is such a nice camera and already available in certain markets. The only reason I haven't bought the LX3 is that it's still not available in the U.S.

I'll be able to compare the LX3 with the G10 with the CP6000 not because I'm patient but because I have no choice! :-)

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope LX3 meets the rather high expectations, but on the other hand, leaping from a five-year-old Canon Ixus 400 to a LX3 probably is such a big step that I'll be impressed in any case.