Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Catch a fly with a Panasonic LX3


Fly view, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Thankfully the rain ceased by evening, so it was possible to go out for a walk and try out the Panasonic LX3.

So far I have shot about 250 photos with the camera, and the battery is over half full. It seems that the battery is at least twice as good as in my Ixus 400. This is really impressive, considering that the Ixus has a 1.5 inch screen and LX3 has four times the area.

One a bit worrying thing about the screen is that is seems to empasize colors a bit, especially red. I was thinking that perhaps "Panasonic colors" are oversaturated compared to the slightly underwhelming "Canon colors" of my Ixus 400. However, on my iMac the colors returned to "normal", quite close to the reality. When you have a clouded evening, the colors are subdued and you can't do much about it.

There is a great deal to learn. Now I feel that it will take several months to learn to use the camera properly. There are several levels of automation, from the iA mode to "intelligent exposure" to aperture/shutter priority etc. However, I have already a bit more experience with the camera, and now it seems that the learning curve is no longer as steep as it first looked like.

No comments: