Sunday, September 21, 2008

Autumn colors are appearing


Maple leaf, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today was a second sunny day in a row here in Finland, what a change for the better. Probably due to the dry and cold nights the autumn colors are starting to appear, especially in maple trees. Mostly yellow, but some red colors also.

Today I took enough photos to fill a 2 GB memory card on my LX3. This was mainly due to shooting RAW + jpeg, 79 photos took 1 GB of space. For the first time I started up Silkypix and tried out RAW conversion. There is a possibility for -1...+1 EV correction and using different film modes when "developing" the photos. And of course settings for sharpening, contrast etc.

Perhaps I had estimated the exposure so well that there wasn't much difference in the end results compared to modifications done with jpeg files. I'll try out RAW also with night shots at some point, to see how noise can be handled with Silkypix compared to the in-camera processing.

I'm still struggling a bit in learning how the autofocus and exposure modes work. There is one potential problem I haven't yet solved - when using the S mode (shutter priority) with long exposure times (1/2 second or so), the image is over-exposed, and the EV corrections don't have any effect to the result. There must be a reason for this behaviour, but I haven't understood it yet.

No comments: